We need fats and oils for energy reserves (as fat), hormone production and regulation, production and transport of fatty acids & fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E & K and to transport and breakdown cholesterol.
Include 2 to 4 of the following oils per day
- Nuts – 1 handful per day
- Seeds – 1 handful per day
- Organic, cold pressed, unrefined nut and seed oils (unheated); 1-2 dessertspoons per day
- Avocados – ½ – 1 daily when in season
- Hempseeds & oil – 1-2 dessert spoons daily
- Flaxseed or Chia oil – 1 -2 dessert spoons daily
- Algae derived DHA – 200 – 600mg daily (especially if pregnant or breastfeeding)
- Olive oil -1-2 dessertspoons daily
- Coconut flesh and oil – ¼ -1 cup coconut flesh, 1-2 dessertspoons coconut oil
Avoid hydrogenated or trans fats, found in margarine and processed foods and heated vegetable oils. The only oils that should ever be heated are olive oil (at low temperature) and coconut oil. Coconut oil is the only oil that remains stable at high temperatures.